My nephew called me the other day and asked if I could repair his quilt. I have only made a few attempts at quilting in my entire life, but I was willing to give it a go. He bought a puppy a few years ago, and the puppy had chewed a couple of holes in his quilt. It was a t shirt quilt that featured his high school football t shirts, given as a gift to him by his mom when he graduated high school.
I did a search on Pinterest to find any tutorials on quilt repair. I did find one tutorial where the quilter’s blanket had fallen victim to their pup. So, I gleaned what I could from that and got to work. I did try to find matching fabric, but I didn’t have a lot of time to devote to fabric shopping, so I just did the best I could to match with what I found at the fabric store.
First, with having one complete hole where the batting inside was complete missing, I cut a piece of batting to fill the spot.
Since I was adding a new piece of batting, I did as the original poster recommended and stitched the batting to the quilt backing to secure it in place. I then stitched the backing piece in place, using invisible/blind stitches to the best of my ability. Now came the top piece. I lined it up, folded the edges under and repeated with a blind stitch around each piece in coordinating thread. Since it was a t shirt quilt, I found it to be a pretty forgiving piece in terms of the straightness/evenness of the way the quilt did lay. I had considered an embroidery hoop to hold everything into place, but since it wasn’t a perfectly straight, flat surface to begin with, I felt that freehanding it would blend in more with the flow of the quilt. Also, there was no topstitching to replicate, thankfully, as it was tied off with yarn.
You can see where my patch job was, I tried to make it as seamless as possible with the mismatched fabric. After hand stitching the batting in place to the back of the quilt I used a blind stitch all around the edges of each patch and then again in the middle of the patch to help keep it in place. Obviously it helps to keep remnant fabric for repairs, but that is not always possible, and fabric patterns do get discontinued, but it is still possible to repair even puppy-sized holes to enjoy your quilt again/prevent further damage.
On the back of the quilt the pup had chewed out a section, but luckily it was only the back and batting affected. I repeated the process of adding a cut piece of batting to fill in the missing space, assembling the fabric flaps back into place the best I could, and added patches secured in place by a blind stitch and also securing the piece of batting to the patch in the same way.
New batting cut and placed.
The fabric put back into place so I could evaluate how to repair, patch, or sew this back together.
The final picture of the quilt in the wee hours of the morning (when I had a quiet moment to see without little ones climbing on my lap.)
Now the quilt can be laundered professionally. The cleaners wouldn’t accept it with holes, but hopefully now he will get many more years of use from it. 🙂