For the last year, I have had a working vision board in some form. I first made a poster vision board and I’ve also had a vision board app on my phone. When I created my first vision board, I was blown away at the changes it brought about, we’re talking within the first week. I felt like I was constantly being held back from moving forward and having the abundant life I’d dreamed of, and this was really what launched me over that barrier. We received an opportunity to buy/remodel a new, larger home for our family, and that opportunity just fell into our laps, I found a new job opportunity, and a host of other things that either came into my life or came into focus for me. Having a vision board changed my life, and you will be amazed at the changes you see when you create your vision board!
- Connecting with your purpose/making your mark. When I started my third vision board, I was working in a Facebook group, and it needed to include a purpose in life and finding my voice. I had no idea what that would be. I had a vague idea that I’d always wanted to start a blog, and less than 60 days later, here I am. It really got me to shift my perspective from just surviving life to actually having a clear path connecting where I am in life to where I want to be and what I want to achieve as a daughter of God.
- An example to your family of a goal setter/goal achiever. Your children and your husband will respond in kind when they see you setting, reaching and finding success in your goals. Make them big and small, short-term and long-term goals, and goals that are for you and for your relationships with others. You will find that your relationships with your family members become more powerful and connected as you do this.
- Fulfillment. The trenches of motherhood and stepmotherhood are real. They are often thankless and it is too easy to lose yourself in those trenches. You can find fulfillment in having even very small goals and successes through the medium of a vision board. Taking care of yourself and others are part of the big-picture vision of who we are as women, and that can actually be a very fulfilling thing for us as women.
- Connecting to others. We are not meant to go through this life alone, through raising children and marriage, or our careers. A vision board can help you find the ways that you need to connect with others, in a way that is unique and meaningful, to empower and enrich your life and theirs.
- Developing Talents and Abilities. I knew I had been given talents and abilities by God, but I never had a plan of action to use them in a way that would fulfill the purpose that God has given me. I have always had prayer as a means to connect with my higher power, but it never really clicked until I put them on a vision board. My purpose aligns with my talents and abilities, and I am moving forward in life to fulfill those things I have been counseled to do. I can see now how developing my talents and abilities really will bless my life and the lives of others!
- Increasing your Health and Well being. We all have this one in our mental vision board already, right? Rigid and inflexible goals of daily exercise and strict dieting, so much so that our brains check out before we even begin. We already know we can’t attain the perfection we impose upon ourselves. Give yourself the flexibility that you need, and be very lenient when you begin. “I will work out 4/7 days per week this month” is a much better way to realistically attain success, than to say you will work out 6 days a week for an hour each day. Kids, illness, lack of sleep, menstrual cycles, sooo many things can get in the way. Set yourself up for success!
- Abundant living. Living paycheck to paycheck is a reality for most people, with no end in sight, and no opportunity to get ahead conceivable. I have lived my whole life feeling like there would never be enough. If you need to start small on this one, I recommend starting with some meditations on YouTube as a way to form a vision of what abundance looks like to you. I was able to find what abundance means to me, and I know it will take on new dimension and meaning over time. It will for you, too! (As an added bonus, you are giving yourself time to meditate daily, and everyone benefits when you are centered and grounded.)
So get started today, and put your vision board where you can see it morning and night, or all day long (if you are able). We as women are powerful and capable, and that is enhanced when we are clear and connected in our purpose!